Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Today I choose to Embrace.........ME


I came across an article on Clutch E-Magazine online where they were interviewing Jada Pinkett-Smith and she mentioned something that really stood out for me:


"Age has brought maturity and more comfort in my skin and in the world than I did in my 20s.”

“At that age, you’re looking for the dude to take care of you, or your mom. In your 30s, you start to connect with your own internal power. Once I decided to take care of myself, then everything else that was supposed to fall in place did.”

I am 26 years old now and I can look back and see how I always wanted to be rescued, always worried about what others thought of my personality and appearance. Last week I was reading up on old blog posts of mine circa 2003 and wow did I ever yearned to be rescued by a man. I think it's safe to say that many of us women (many will never admit to it) yearned to be rescued and accepted regardless of how independent she claimed to be. Many have danced around the living room listening to Aretha Franklin's I will Survive and R-E-S-P-E-C-T telling ourselves we didn't need the opposite sex only to find ourselves the next day sitting by the phone waiting on "the call".

As you get older you begin to realize that only YOU can make things happen and you shoul donly please and do for yourself. And like Jada says once you are intune with your internal power and take care of yourslef; only then will everything else that is supposed to fall into place, will. So I will embrace my 30's as it is just around the corner. Ain't nothing like getting to know me as I reflect upon the old me and rejoice in all of my new Woman goodliness!

No comments:

...And Counting...

free counters

...Page Design brought to you by Delightful Dots...